Sunday, September 9, 2007

For the Foodies (1): Roujiamo


I know there are some foodies are out there, so I will try to highlight the best and/or most memorable food I had in Beijing in the next few posts. Of course the crispy-skinned and incredibly rich Beijing/Peking duck was scrumptious (I love nearlyall foods that involve their own bread product for burrito type wrapping), but here are some of my other favorites.

Oh, roujiamo. How I love thee. It’s a simple dish. Chunks of slow cooked pork that is falling-apart-tender mixed with chopped spicy green peppers and fresh cilantro and then tucked inside a small round, flat loaf of leavened bread that is still warm from the skillet and oven. It’s somewhat like a taco (see note below) and somewhat like a sandwich – two of my favorite food groups.

There is also a breakfast version, which uses the same tasty bread but includes slices of ham and a fried egg instead of the pork mixture.




This one gets top billing for a handful of reasons.

1) It’s street food. Of course, street food gets points for value (read: cheap), but I love the thrill of finding deliciously simple food on the streets, in moving vehicles (yay, taco trucks!) or in hole in the wall restaurants. (Price 3Y for the pork, and 2.5 for the breakfast – less than $.50)

2) Service with a smile. The vendor near our office was always excited to see us –- perhaps because we had lunch there about 3 times a week. (Shown in photo)



3) Mexican food stand-in. As many of you know I ate as much Mexican food as I could before leaving on my trip, because I knew that it would be hard to come by in China. I do still miss it, but roujiamo does seem to make me miss it less.

No comments: