Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fall Has Arrived


It was subtle, but I have noticed a few changes which seem to signal the arrival of fall. First, the temperatures have dropped slightly -- and some nights are almost chilly enough for a long sleeve shirt. Almost. As well, while there are still plenty of vendors selling corn on the cob and melons in the street, new fares such as roasted chestnuts and piping hot sweet potatoes (baked directly on top of a large oil drum) have arrived. Of course, the final harbinger of fall is back-to-school time, and we happen to live next to an elementary school.

The other morning I heard quite a commotion as I got into the elevator (loud music, kids shouting, and a stern voice over an intercom). I leaned out of the window and saw the scene above. Perfect rows of school children completing their morning exercises. I guess this is reassurance that I shouldn't feel too bad as I stumble through my morning routine. I really am woefully behind.

No comments: