Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Into the countryside: Hoi An


Our next stop was Hoi An, a smaller town along the central coast of Vietnam known for its tailor shops, where Guillermo and I spent more than a few hours pouring over fashion magazines and books, picking out fabric and getting measured for a few made-to-order suits and jackets (after all, I will eventually need to get a job!). As fun as this decadent, sartorial tour was, it does not make for gripping storytelling -- or photos.

However, I did take a bike ride into the surrounding area, which was a gorgeous mini adventure. Winding my way around the raised earthen roads that ring the marshy, and amazingly green, rice fields, I met a family of water buffalo and countless small children who eagerly ran out of their houses waving and practicing their English. "Hello." "Heellloo!" "Hellloo-oo!"

For those of you who love small fuzzy animals as much as I do, you can find lots more photos of the baby water buffalo here. Please note that he puts the "cow" in cowlick. Holy hair swirl batman!

No comments: